Pulp is the soft tissue in the center of your teeth that contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissues. Root canal therapy may be needed when the pulp becomes infected or diseased. A deep cavity, repeated dental procedures on a tooth, a cracked or broken tooth, or an injury to the tooth can cause infected pulp. If you have any of the following symptoms, Dr. Anthony Gonzalez may recommend a root canal in Corpus Christi, Texas:
- Severe toothache, especially when biting down or chewing
- Prolonged tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Swelling or tenderness in the surrounding gums
- A persistent pimple on the nearby gums
During a root canal, our dentist will make gently an access hole in the tooth, through which he will remove the infected pulp and tissues. A sealer paste and rubber compound is placed in the root canal of the tooth to restore its structural integrity. Then a filling is placed to close the access hole. In some cases, a dental crown will also be placed to protect and support the tooth.
We encourage you to contact the office of Anthony Gonzalez, DDS today to learn more and to schedule an appointment with our dentist.Appointments